Thursday, August 7, 2014

Kutchinta (Brown Rice Cake)

It's such a long time since my last food post, i was preoccupied with random thingys that i seem to ignore these things i should be doing rather than burying myself being a bitterana. I feel kinda lazy and distressing thoughts still haunt me every now and then. I guess it would stay for a moment but i hope not for so very long.

 So, this Kutchinta (Brown Rice Cake) is one of my favorite native delicacies. My first attempt of cooking Kutchinta was way back in high school and it tasted terribly bitter because of too much lye water. Well, i didn't know then that it was lye that made it tasted like that. So after that incident, just recently, I've thought of trying to make again, this time should, at least result into something edible.
There are lots of different ways to make this delicacy but here's my Kutchinta edible version ^_^ Yey!

  1. In a bowl, mix the rice flour, brown sugar and lye water.
  2. Gradually add 3/4 cup of water while mixing.
  3. Strain to removes lumps.
  4. Dissolve annatto seeds in 1 tbsp of water and add it to the mixture. (optional - used for coloring)
  5. Pour into tin cans/llanera (grease with oil so it will be easier to remove it when it's cooked) and steam for 20-30 minutes.
  6. Serve with grated coconut on top.. Share and enjoy!
*Best to use round tin cans/llanera instead of this molder because the ricrac curve didn't shaped that much and it took time for me to remove but then it does taste like a real kutchinta..a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave some love <3