The quake struck at 8:12 am, and was centered 2 kilometers southeast of Carmen, Bohol (09.80°N, 124.20°E). The quake's depth of focus was 33 kilometers, and was of tectonic origin, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said in its initial report."
According to Heritage Conservation Society, at least 10 churches were damaged by the quake. They include:
- Church of San Pedro Apostol, Loboc, Bohol
- Church of Our Lady of Light, Loon, Bohol
- Santissima Trinidad Parish, Loay, Bohol
- Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Baclayon, Bohol
- Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Dauis, Bohol
- San Nicolas Church, Dimiao, Bohol
- Santa Cruz Parish Church, Maribojoc, Bohol
- Basilica Minore del Santo Niño, Cebu
- Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, Cebu
- St Catherine's Church, Carcar, Cebu
|A 400-year-old structure of the San Pedro Church in Boboc, Bohol. Photo by Robert Michael Poole|
|Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Baclayon, considered to be the oldest churches in Bohol.|
|Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño|
|Santissima Trinidad Parish, Loay, Bohol |
|Chocolate Hills viewdeck|
It was really heartbreaking. I've visited Bohol and Cebu and these said churches last time and terribly sad to see the damages. It was quite a different feeling when you actually visit the place and then saw it in total wreck. It's really hard to believe that it actually happened. -_- The big question is why include many catholic churches and historical places? These churches that had stood for decades and centuries. So depressing to see our own heritage went to ruins.
Let us do pray for all the affected people and may God give them the strength to recover from all of what had happened.
Everything in life is temporary, in just one blink, we may lose it..
Pray always and Trust God.
Disclaimer: Photos and info source belong to its rightful owner, no infringement intended