Run time: 126 min | 133 min (Extended Edition)
Release Date: June 2014
Genre: Young adult novel, Realistic fiction
Movie Info: Two teens, both who have different cancer conditions, fall in love after meeting at a cancer support group.
"One Sick Love Story.."
It took me a while to finally finish this review. I'm supposed to post this a few months ago but i guess i didn't feel like hearing my thoughts those times. It was kind of pretty sad and made me literally sick, really. All the longing for infinities and all that I've been aching for.
I had read this from the book and was quite really surprised for this movie adaptation. Yet, though i already know the "ending" (which is that Augustus Waters died) i still find the movie very heartbreaking to watch especially at those hard times. And to be truthful, i didn't watched it on it's screening date/weeks (even if so many times i was tempted to) I tried to avoid that kind of stories for the last few months. Yet just months ago, i decided to give it a try. (I finally watched it..online!) Since i know the story already, maybe it won't hurt that much. That this time, i could hold back the emotions in this tearjerker movie.
I always thought Infinity meant Forever and forever meant endless time. But upon watching this movie, i came to realize that forever doesn't always mean that it will last forever. True, it is an incorrect concept. Because i think it doesn't really matter if it's endless. What truly matters is the true and sincerest emotions shown during the time that the person is still with you. Even if it's just for a few years, a few months or a few days. I know, it is really unfair, very incorrect. And i want to strongly disagree with that but there are these things that are unchangeable and limited in time. Even if we want to prolong the moments of togetherness, it just can't be...no matter how unacceptable that is. That fact itself is truly heartbreaking.
In the movie, Hazel thought she would die first but it ended up, Augustus died first. Yet, the little infinity that they had is more than what forever really means. Even if they've shared it just for a number of days, what they had is something so extraordinary. They didn't mind even when they're literally sick or almost dying, all did they ever cared in the world was to show how much love they can both give to one another. I don't remember them planning for the future because they both know all they have is the present time. That hurts too but it didn't matter at all. That is one brave thing two people can do - to love unconditionally and fully accept each other the way they are and not the way they can't be. To know their limits and conquer it with true love.
Sometimes, we don't really have to look forward to forever, all we need is to make the most of everything NOW. Because tomorrow may be too late and forever will always be just a word with broken promises. (unless otherwise proven in actions) We don't also need to be remembered by everyone, those people who cared true enough for us is more than enough to accomplish a meaningful life. When our time has come, the marks of our existence will always live in their hearts and i swear, we will never ever be forgotten.
One more thing, i love the idea of attending my own funeral. Why not? It's unjust that people close to us or just people who knows us will only say what they think and feel about us when we're gone for good in this world. And that we won't be able to hear their eulogy, that's quite really unfair. Isn't it? Mehehe!
Book to Movie
No violent reactions, but well I just noticed these missing/altered parts:
- The argument of Gus' and his parents about going to Amsterdam. (because of his recurrence) And Hazel and her mother happen to overhear but they went back to the car and waited for Gus to go out instead.
- The limousine going to the airport.
- Going home, Hazel and Gus didn't have a champagne toast on the airplane.
- When Gus was in the ambulance with Hazel, he asked her to tell her a story or a poem. Hazel told something about the Red Wheelbarrow. As she added more lines about the G-tube and so on, Gus didn't mumbled "And you say you don't write poetry.."
There are more other missing parts but i don't feel the need to include them all here. Overall, i love the simplicity of the movie, it's worth watching for over and over again.
I can pretty much relate to this TFIOS Quotes, like Hazel with AIA and me with TFIOS (and hey Hazel's doctor name is Maria..how cool is that?!)
- I'm pretty unextraordinary. (I guess)
- I'm like a grenade. I'm a grenade at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties. Because I'm a grenade. I just want to stay away from people and read books. (because in some way I AM)
- I was a teenager with no particular wake up time. (sleep lover indeed)
- I couldn't unlove Augustus Waters. And i didn't wanted to. (Where's mine anyway?)
- I kind of conned you into believing you were falling in love with a healthy person. (I did?)
- Grief does not change you, it reveals you. (You see it?)
- Sometimes I dream that I'm writing a memoir. A memoir would be just the thing to keep me in the hearts and memories of my adoring public. (This is.)
- I fear oblivion. (I don't.)
Most Favorite Heartbreaking TFIOS Quotes
- “But I believe in true love, you know? I don’t believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last at least as long as your life does.”
- "Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is a million of years away, but even if we survuve the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever."
- "I was thinking about the word handle, and all the unholdable things that get handled."
- “You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you. All efforts to save me from you will fail.”
- “Some people don’t understand the promises they’re making when they make them, I said. Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That’s what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway.”
- “You say you’re not special because the world doesn't know about you, but that’s an insult to me. I know about you.”
- ”I will not tell you our love story, because—like all real love stories—it will die with us, as it should.”
- “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
- “That’s why I like you. Do you realize how rare it is to come across a hot girl who creates a adjectival version of the word pedophile? You are so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.”
- “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world…but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”
- “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”
- “It seemed like forever ago, like we've had this brief but still infinite forever. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”
- "There is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars."
- "The physical evidence of disease separates you from other people."
- "The marks humans leave are too often scars."
- "Nostalgia is the side effect of dying."
- “Pain is like fabric: The stronger it is, the more it’s worth.”
- "That's the thing about pain. it demands to be felt."
- "Forever is an incorrect concept."
- "Maybe 'okay' will be our 'always..”
“I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m eternally grateful.”
I dont wanna see the world without you. - Isaac
I want to be remembered. - Gus
Coz I love you.. and im gonna remember you.
i just wish you'd be happy with that. - Hazel
I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway.
And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose YOU.
Photo gifs and quotes belong to its rightful owner, no infringement intended.